There is a hymn that I used to hear as a special at church when I was younger, the lyrics were basically a question that we need to ask ourselves and it went as follows:
Do you really want revival?
Do you really want God’s power?
Do you really want His Spirit
To control your life this hour?
Oh, repent and turn to Jesus,
Seek his face and humbly pray.
Do you really want Revival?
Are you willing to obey?
If we really want revival and for God’s help in our lives, family, church, community, and nation it is going to start with:
1. Turning back to God with complete repentance of sin and full dependence on Him. (James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:7)
- Don’t depend on yourself, your reasoning, your strength, your abilities. Look to and trust in the Lord.
- Ask forgiveness for your wayward and backslidden condition.
- Quit excusing yourself and come clean with God and turn from your sin or disobedience.
2. Obeying God (John 14:15)
- This is not complicated – it is simply allowing Him to be the priority of your life. What does He want you to do?
- God wants you reading your Bible and devoting time to Him in prayer daily.
- God wants you in church and at the Revival meetings.
- By faith obey Him in all thing His Word teaches us and reveals to us.
3. Walk by faith and not by sight. (2 Cor 5:7)
- To serve the Lord, I'm going to have to decide to trust Him no matter what and to put Him first no matter what.
- There are going to be many things that will discourage or side track us from doing what God wants. As soon as Satan finds out what will keep you off track he will keep sending it your way. Don't allow him to do that. (2 Cor 2:11)
- Trust in God and follow Him completely - allow Him to take care of the rest.
There are many other things that are vital the Christian life – but there also basic things that are indispensable and our neglect of them are not only what causes revival to not happen in our lives, but it also contributes to revival not coming to our families, church, community and nation.
Start with the basics, be at church when the doors are open (and especially the revival meetings). Read your Bible and pray daily. Submit yourself over the leading and control of the Spirit of God in your life and allow Him to take care of the rest.
DO WE REALLY WANT REVIVAL? I pray that we do!
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.